Collaboration upgrade for oil refiner and marketerA unified system with robust capabilities
The phone system of one of the largest independent oil refining and marketing companies in the western United States was reaching end-of-life. They wanted to update hardware and phones at three specific locations and needed to install new service at seven locations. Potentially complicating the upgrade and installation, the client additionally needed the new system to integrate with an Emergency Response System (ERS) that was over 60 years old.
Having established a prior relationship with the GDT account manager and preferring the equipment of Cisco, they chose GDT.
With proper installation and custom configuration from GDT, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) complemented the features of the client’s existing ERS.
First, GDT employed its state-of-the-art lab facility, upgrading its CUCM to the version being installed at the customer location. GDT then configured and tested the performance of the equipment to be installed. The availability of the lab and the attention to detail of lab engineers allowed installation at the 10 customer sites to proceed smoothly.
GDT deployed Cisco servers, phones, and a full range of other Cisco communications technologies that included:
- The Cisco family of Business Edition 6000 solutions, a package of advanced communications and collaboration solutions, which gives employees a full range of collaboration tools: premium voice, video, messaging, instant messaging and presence, conferences, video conferencing, contact center services, mobility capabilities, and more. The BE6000 is delivered with a suite of preloaded, ready to activate Unified Communications and Collaborating applications that can be “turned on” when needed.
- Cisco’s UCS C220 MS server, which is an exceptional building block for the Cisco Unified Computing System. With a 1 RU form factor and Intel Xeon processors, it delivers significant performance and efficiency gains.
- The Cisco Unified Contact Center Express is a single-server, integrated contact center in a box for both formal and informal contact centers.
- Cisco’s Unified Communications Manager (CUCM), which is an enterprise-class IP telephone call-processing system that provides traditional telephony features, as well as video, messaging, mobility and web conferencing. The system is scalable, extensible, and boosts productivity while dramatically cutting costs.
- The Cisco UC Manager SME, which enables and coordinates progressive, rich-media communications for users through the “point” introduction of applications and features. For example, an employee can start a chat session after noting another’s presence, escalate the interaction to a phone call, and eventually engage other interested parties in a audio-visual conference call via Cisco Unified Meeting Place, Cisco WebEx, or a Cisco TelePresence session.
The budget-friendly Cisco IP 7841 and the Cisco 7965G, with a large, backlit color display, are Cisco phones that enable lifelike voice conversations.
The GDT difference
Always going beyond expectations, GDT protected the client’s investment and ensured the timely progression of the project by procuring and shipping the equipment early. This allowed GDT engineers ample time to stage and test the equipment with the third-party vendor’s applications, then make any necessary adjustments.
Known for excellence and customer-first service, the success of this project solidified the relationship between the client and GDT. And it further solidified GDT’s relationship with Cisco, its long-time solutions partner.